Sandra Staveski, PhD, RN, CPNP-AC
Co-chair, Research Committee
Commissioned in September 2015, the PCICS Research Committee was tasked with:
- Developing new research that can improve delivery and outcomes in cardiac critical care
- Disseminating current research to the membership
- Guiding science and research presented at the PCICS Annual International Meetings
- Development of guidelines to inform care of patients, and
- Encouraging scientific innovation in the field
Sandra Staveski RN, PhD, CPNP-AC, Brad Marino MD, MPH, and Ravi Thiagarajan MD, MPH, currently chair the PCICS Research Committee.
The Research committee operates through its four subcommittees. These include:
- Scientific Review Committee (SRC): This committee is responsible for review of scientific abstracts submitted to the PCICS meetings and the subsequent presentation of best papers, vetting surveys submitted for PCICS member participation, and vetting scientific research protocols submitted to PCICS for conduct of multi-center research through PCICS membership.
- Research Briefs (RB): This committee has developed several interactive journal club summaries. These summaries are available on the PCICS website for access by members. In addition, this committee is tasked with reviewing scientific research published in cardiac intensive care and summarizing high impact articles into one publication every two years.
- White Papers (WP): This committee is tasked with writing scientific statements and white papers to inform clinical care.
- Scientific Innovation (SI): This committee is tasked with development of new science and innovation that can improve the care of children with critical congenital heart disease.
PCICS members are strongly encouraged to join and guide the development of new research to improve the lives of children with congenital and acquired heart disease.